Latest Comments

1. Overwhelmed By Joy says:

I’m happy when I’m down to 100!

2. george-b says:

Where is my spam…Oh I forgot I emptied it: I love you post, Allison: My Emails exhaustive task is combing through the the many spam messages, since from time to time there are legitimate messages stack there (like souls in the Purgatory). I gotta make sure I save them, before I empty!
    Hope to see you around at EuZicAsa (It’s what I say). Thanks for visiting and don’t worry should you get stuck in my Spam cache: I always comb through carefully!

3. Janet says:

Thanks for the inspiration. I have over 2000 in my work email that I have been meaning to go through. Gotta make those folders up and get it organized! Great post

4. eof737 says:

I wish…. I’m on 3500! Yikes. :-(

5. Samantha says:

Excellent! Have you tried AdBlock for Google Chrome or Firefox? Lifesaver…no noise and no ads! :)

And how did you lose out on a job? That’s sad :(

• Allison Wright says:

Thank you, Samantha, I shall certainly be looking at Adblock.
      Don’t worry about the job. There are always more. One of my clients, a very well-organised, large translation agency, sends out an individual notification of an available assignment to a number of selected translators (who they believe would be suitable for the job) at the same time. Whoever replies within within five to ten minutes normally succeeds in getting the job. After that, forget it! Sometimes you receive a request for translation addressed to only to you (if you have worked on closely-related documents in the past, for example), in which case, the agency usually waits for about fifteen minutes before phoning you. But most of the time, the translators are like a bunch of children all trying to grab the last biscuit on the plate! :)

6. brain4rent says:

I didn’t know it was a goal to have anempty email box…..way more than you….embarrassed to the point of paralysis to think I need to weed away

• Allison Wright says:

Oh, yes! It is the whole corporate IN-tray OUT-tray mentality, the tidy desk, the sparkling kitchen sink, the fresh-cut lawn (we’ll keep the white picket fence out of this for now), the constant struggle to impose order upon disorder, the “let’s cut the c**p and deal with the real sh*t” attitude, the getting rid of old emotional baggage so that we can experience life to the full idea. It can be fun! ;)

7. iRuniBreathe says:

Congrats on this (both on the FP as well as cleaning out your inbox). Filing emails is like, well, filing. I still have mountains of papers to go through at work, which should really be filed. My email is not much better, but you have inspired me. I want to be able to say “hundreds!”
    Cheers,
    iRuniBreathe

8. mirrormon says:

hahhaha… u r funny… totally made me laugh on a few things… being funny on writing, add a 10 for that too :p

9. The Retiring Sort says:

Too much info is too much info – I love it!! ;-)

10. liamodell1 says:

But now you’re Freshly Pressed that number will go up again! Lol!

11. amphomma says:

We can learn much from the state of one’s inbox. I’m thinking of my own, of what I’ve kept and why, with answers ranging from procrastination to sentimentality to confusion about a message’s redirection or filing. It’s mostly procrastination. I like your point system; my son tries every now and then to jokingly implement a point system, in which I as the mommy am horribly in the hole and he is of course way ahead of me. Funny, it never caught on. Keep writing!

12. Feather Story says:

Wow what an accomplishment. I’d give you several hundreds. I have several email addresses all overflowing, except one. I’d love to hear about Zimbabwe do you write about it on your blog. I was looking for some first-person information for a trip. Either great numbering system you have and good luck keeping it up!

• Allison Wright says:

Thank you, Feather Story. I do not write about Zimbabwe, except in passing since it forms so much of my past. I am not sure that I am the best person to write about it either, having emigrated to Portugal four years ago. I did write about it in a general sort of way two days ago in “The girl out of Africa”. After a quick look at your blog, I would think one approach to get the most out of your trip would be to find like-minded groups in Zimbabwe and take it from there. There are so many different kinds of trips you can have in Zimbabwe. For example,I once encountered a young German fellow who was travelling through Africa on a petrol-powered bicycle! If you are going the five-star hotel route or safari adventure route, you will not be disappointed either. If you do ever get there, you will find the people friendly and helpful, but you do need to be streetwise.

13. PrettyGee says:

Good for you. As much as I want my inbox to be free or at least less than 50, I couldn’t.

14. Just Me With . . . says:

At the end of the calendar year last year I blindly deleted all emails in my personal account — you know, just to see if I would die or something. Still kicking.

15. Rapster says:

How much email did you have unread to start out with? It took me a week to clear my inbox once. I had like 4000 mails unread.

• Allison Wright says:

Good point. After reading some comments, I feel like a bit of a whimp! I had about 250 unread, which is the level it reaches after about 12-18 hours if left to its own devices. I suppose I receive about 100 e-mails every day. I do some inbox “management” every day, but normally stop when I get to a number below 100 unread. The unread mail was “low priority but interesting”. The biggest part of this exercise for me was ensuring that read mail I do need to keep ends up in the correct folder, and that old and no longer relevant stuff (from the main inbox and all sub-folders!) makes it all the way into the trash. We do create stress for ourselves, don’t we?!

• Rapster says:

Indeed. 100 mails a day is a lot. If you had let that accumulate, you’d have more than any normal human would be able to keep up with. Well done indeed :)

Say something here!

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s