Waywardspirit has nominated me for the One Lovely Blog Award.
There are rules for acceptance, which get me thinking all sorts of strange things, and wondering (waywardspirit’s favourite word, even though she has others which she strings together so fascinatingly) whether I have revealed these things before, and if not, whether anyone is really interested in these unrevealed things.
On the off chance that you are still reading, here come the seven random things about me:
- Orange is my least favourite colour unless it occurs naturally; man-made oranges give me the creeps.
- Architecture interests me a great deal – anything with lines and a form, actually.
- I am allergic to cats and swimming pool chlorine. I have an asthmatic reaction to them. No one realised this until I was 21 years old, when I nearly died. This meant I climbed more trees than a monkey and generally enjoyed a wild childhood, running around in the outdoors, and swimming a lot.
- A corporate medical examination once revealed that I have an enormous lung capacity – the largest the doctor had ever seen amongst my age-matched peers. Super, but I still find it hard to scream at will, even though I also have a large oral cavity (mouth).
- One day I will learn pottery, primarily so that I can give gaudy, misshapen cups and plates to people as gifts.
- I do not miss my Singer® treadle sewing machine which I had for twenty years, except occasionally when I want to sew. The urge soon passes.
- I still think it is wonderful that we all have so much to explore and discover during our very short time on this planet. I have no fear of what comes next.
And the 15 bloggers I nominate for the One Lovely Blog Award are:
- Edwin Rhemrev at Sketches and doodles rhemrev.com, for sharing his fantastic imagination and excellent drawings.
- José Fernandes Castro at Fados do Fado, (in Portuguese) for doing so much to document Portugal’s national musical genre, the fado. A treasure of music and lyrics – and detail!
- Linguischtick at (surprise) linguischtick who mostly says all the things I want to say about linguistics and grammar much better than I ever could.
- Catherine Manansala-Jan at Catherine Translates for her clear writing, great bilingual slogan, clean lines, and ability to engage the translation community in positive thought and discussion.
- Padraig O’Conner at the song of the week blog for having such interesting and well-documented things to say.
- Cezanne Jardine at skymunki – jump on the bed for her adventurous socks and her poetry, even though she mysteriously states “NO REWARDS PLEASE, i must insist”. She can always change her mind.
- Emma at Emma in Euroland for being a young, enthusiastic, student translator studying in Germany for a year, and for wearing out my eyes with her very long paragraphs.
- Veronica Lupascu at Glossofilia Translations for being part of the new generation of professional translators who are not afraid to blog in a language (English) other than their mother tongue, and for doing so with style.
- Lisa John at Ü wie Übersetzen for providing me with a one-stop reading shop on what is happening in the German-speaking translation world.
- Ninano at Jag gör världen vackrare (“beautifying my world” in Swedish) for using her graphic design skills to bring out the beauty of the many things she sees in her world.
- Elizabeth Obih-Frank at Mirth and Motivation for spreading sheer positive energy and the interesting quotations at the head of all her posts.
- Trish Worth at Sounds like Wish for her excellent blog idea and succinct, interesting perspectives.
- iRuniBreathe at iRuniBreathe for having her own opinion and seeking and spreading a bit of inspiration while doing so.
- Skinnywench at A Word in Your Ear for sharing her adventures and taking so many great photographs.
- Lonna Lisa Williams at Lonna Lisa Williams for teaching English – in Turkey, moreover – and for her determination to carry on.
Congratulations! Share, share, spread it around!
- I was going to nominate J. Michael Harroun of naturephotorehab, but he is buckling under the weight of three other awards recently received, and I would not want to burden him with having to think of another seven things about himself. I recommend his blog for all those interested in photography, though. Really good.
- I really wanted to nominate george-b at EuZicAsa, but two people have already given him the One Lovely Blog award. He posts such very interesting and varied material here. I am very sad that I shall probably never get to read it all.
And to the wayward spirit, Ms Jessica LeBaron, who nominated me: thanks a heap: That little exercise almost made it as the most exhausting 775 words I have ever had to produce (and that is saying something)! I shall be letting all nominees know personally as soon as I can. If you find out before I do so, please let me know by leaving a comment on this post! 🙂